November 14, 2011

Soups: Dairy Free, Gluten Free & More

My quest for good soup is a long one. Getting Dairy Free soup in Ireland has been a problem since I moved here way back in 1998 but if you search hard enough you can find almost anything. The bigger problem is the taste. I thought that I just didn't like soup but I have discovered that what i like is a rich, hearty, thick homemade soup that doesn't taste like it came out of a can.

Suma: Carrot and Coriander Soup



Suma’s carrot & Coriander soup is one of my favourite canned soups. Truth be told I am not, in the greater scheme of things, a fan of canned soups. They always have what I call an overriding ‘tinned-can’ flavour so when I say that I like this one I mean that it is thick and full of flavour and reminds me of homemade soup or a soup from Cornucopia which translates to Yum Yum Yum! -I am also an advocate for Suma’s Split Pea soup but that one contains Wheat and Gluten.


- Dairy free
- Gluten Free
- Wheat Free
- Corn Free
- Soy Free
- Mustard Free
- Nut Free
- No Added Sugar
- Vegan
- Vegetarian
- Organic
- Free of Artificial Flavour

Ingredients: Water, Carrots (30%), Onions, Sunflower Oil, Coriander Leaf (0.7%), Garlic, Sea Salt, Black Pepper

Nutritional Information per 100g:
Energy 122kj/29kcal
Protein 0.3g
Carbohydrate 3.1g
of which sugars 2.7g
Fat 1.7g
of which saturates 0.2g
Fibre 0.9g
Sodium 0.2g


The Really !nteresting Food Co: Hot & Spicy Mexican Bean Soup


(Pictured in the title shot) Very spicy but not as hearty and chunky as the picture on the can would lead you to believe. It’s hard to get a Gluten Free and Dairy Free soup and I appreciate the availability but this one is a bit more typical for a canned soup (meaning that it has that famous ‘canned soup’ flavour) and doesn’t really urge me to write home about it.





- Dairy Free
- Wheat Free
- Gluten Free
- Free from Artificial Colours
- Free from Artificial Flavourings
- Vegan
- Vegetarian
- GMO Free

Ingredients: Water, Tomatoes (12.4g), Pinto Beans (8.5%), Onion, Tomato Puree (8.2%), Red Peppers, Coriander, Sunflower Oil, Sea Salt, Garlic, Chilli Powder, Mint, Pepper

Nutritional Information per 100g:
Energy 113kJ/27kcal
Protein 1.2g
Carbohydrate 3.4g
Fat 0.9g

No comments: