December 16, 2011

A Free From Appetizer, Perfect for a Savoury Christmas Breakfast: Vegideli Beanfeast Paté

Today’s tasty treat is Vegideli’s Beanfeast Paté which hails from The Redwoods company in the UK. (The same group that makes the tasty tasty cheezly bites that I reviewed earlier this month)

At first bite all I can taste is that ever-familiar ‘meat substitute flavour’ that we all know so well but after a couple more bites I found myself enjoying it quite a lot and wanting more. I had it on warm toast which was perfect but I imagine that crackers would be nice too... or the new Ryvita Thins which taste addictively good but unfortunately neither the thins or the Beanfeast Paté is Gluten, Wheat or Sugar free.

The Paté is, however:
- Dairy Free
- Egg Free
- Corn Free
- Potato Free (note nightshade sufferers: contains onion)
- Vegan
- Vegetarian

There’s only enough in a package for 4 generous slices of commercial sized bread because it doesn’t spread as well as traditional patés. But all in all I thought that it was a good product and that I would buy it again...And actually, after all this writing I think that I will buy it again today! I would even recommend it as a definite potential for Christmas time Allergy Free/Vegetarian/Vegan snacks or breakfast options and it’s actually super healthy with 7 different types of beans, 4 types of seeds, fibre, protein and omega 3 and 6 and no cholesterol, hydrogenated fats, artificial flavours or preservatives! :)

Ingredients:
Bean mix (black eyed beans, black turtle beans, pinto beans, haricot beans, butter beans, aduki beans, mung beans), soya protein, sunflower oil, water, seed mix (linseed, white poppy seed, blue poppy seed & hemp seed), wheat starch & protein, yeast extracts, herbs & spices, onion powder, sugar, salt, thickener: carregeenan & locust bean gum, fermented rice & malt extract

Nutritional Information per 100g:
Energy 1121kJ/268kcal
Protein 7.3g
Carbohydrates 21.1g
of which sugars 2.4g
Fat 17.0g
of which saturates 1.9g
Cholesterol 0.0g
Fibre 3.8g
Sodium 0.4g
Omega 3 0.9g
Omega 6 4.0g

No comments: